Friday, May 18, 2012

Twinkle Toes

Oh my...I haven't posted in quite some time! Now that it is summer, I envision myself blogging several times a week with some fun DIY project that I do to keep myself from dying of boredom, especially now that I don't have studying and reading to preoccupy all my waking moments. 

First Project of Summer: Revamping What At First Glance Already Appears to be Vamped Flats 

On Wednesday, I took some old clothes to Buffalo Exchange, a really awesome vintage thrift/consignment store. While I love doing this, I first have to muster up the courage to march in, take a number and watch the staff rifle through my items to pick what is Buffalo-worthy merchandise. There is seriously nothing like this experience that makes me feel like a person with a bag lady sense of fashion. Of an entire luggage full of clothes, only two items were tagged. These particular flats were praised, but deemed too worn.

But in the end, it worked out. I have been searching for plain, unadorned black flats for months. Bringing these back home I realized that I could redesign the flats using a little creativity and hot glue. 

 My first step was to cut off the center adorned piece (including the little loop connecting the center to the ankle strap). I left the center strip alone but cut off the two smaller side strips, so as to make use of it for ankle strap support.
 I then cut the center strip so that the length corresponded with the length of the heel of the flat, and hot glued it to the center of the heel.
Taking my beloved crop-o-dile, I punched six holes along the arc of the toe to add a little flair.
 And VOILA! New Mary-Jane style flats that have just a subtle hint of pop on the heel!

No comments:

Post a Comment